Your favorite Whistle?

LarryS
LarryS
@larrys
3 years ago
45 posts

Michael W6:

England? Hey!  I have heard of this place!

Very wet and mild at the moment. Gonna have the warmest new year's on record

Michael W6
Michael W6
@michael-w6
3 years ago
52 posts

England? Hey!  I have heard of this place!

LarryS
LarryS
@larrys
3 years ago
45 posts

Michael W6:

@Larry - I have had very good experiences with online whistle purchases.   I recommend: Becker, US, Goldfinch, Poland, Humphrey, US, Takahe, NZ and if you want to go high end, Bruke or Reyburn, US.  Of these Becker is the most affordable at about $15.  Handcrafted PVC and very pleasing to play.  James Becker, the craftsman, obviously makes whistles for the love of his craft, not as a business enterprise. 

Ah I'm in England, so its sites like JustFlutes, Eagle Music and Amazon that I look to

Michael W6
Michael W6
@michael-w6
3 years ago
52 posts

@Larry - I have had very good experiences with online whistle purchases.   I recommend: Becker, US, Goldfinch, Poland, Humphrey, US, Takahe, NZ and if you want to go high end, Bruke or Reyburn, US.  Of these Becker is the most affordable at about $15.  Handcrafted PVC and very pleasing to play.  James Becker, the craftsman, obviously makes whistles for the love of his craft, not as a business enterprise. 

LarryS
LarryS
@larrys
3 years ago
45 posts

@Strumelia that's true, but its much easier to be able to just pick up a whistle in a shop rather than having to deal with delivery and all its pitfalls. Plus you can have a good look while you're there. 

updated by @larrys: 12/27/21 03:44:48PM
Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
146 posts

Larry I have only bought whistles online. I don't think a music shop is likely to let you try out whistles anyway, especially with the pandemic going on. It's not safe.
My experience is good in buying online. I usually look for several youtube videos first that show someone playing the whistle i'm interested in. That gives a general idea of the tone before I buy.

--
Site Owner

Those irritated by grain of sand best avoid beach.
-Strumelia proverb c.1990
LarryS
LarryS
@larrys
3 years ago
45 posts

I only have 2 whistles, a Feadóg D and a Generation C. Not sure but I think I prefer the Feadóg, but I tried to tweak it a little as it has an overtone that I'm not too keen on. Not sure how successful I was. I want to try more whistles to be honest, but there's no music shops near me

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
146 posts

My favorite whistle brand to play is probably the Jerry Freeman-tweaked 'Blackbird'. It does not require a lot of huffing and puffing to play, and has a very sweet sound to it. music

--
Site Owner

Strumelia
Strumelia
@strumelia
3 years ago
146 posts

I can say my favorite key is probably Bb, it seems the best of both worlds and is easier on my ears than high D.

--
Site Owner

Michael W6
Michael W6
@michael-w6
3 years ago
52 posts

Do you have a favorite whistle? Either key or maker?