Michael W6
Michael W6
@michael-w6
2 months ago
24 posts

One of my favorite bands.  Though their "Dance Till We Die" rap garbage, complete with expletives, is a track to skip.

Keith
Keith
@keith
2 months ago
145 posts

Ah, I like a bit of OMNIA too... nod

updated by @keith: 10/06/21 04:04:56AM
Michael W6
Michael W6
@michael-w6
2 months ago
24 posts

I'm playing mostly Irish tunes with the goal of playing at a local brewery for St. Pat's 2022.   I much enjoy Medieval and Renaissance music and have put together some sets.  There are also dabble with some less than trad tunes...

OMNIA (Official) - Fee Ra Huri - YouTube

Star Trek TNG "The Inner Light" Music - YouTube

Keith
Keith
@keith
2 months ago
145 posts

Warming up the whistle by blowing breath through it before playing does seem to help with getting the high notes.

Cuts & rolls seem to be fairly important to the way Irish music is played, so if that is your choice, it will likely help practicing them too.

Michael W6
Michael W6
@michael-w6
2 months ago
24 posts

Tune playing is my general approach too.   Sometimes I warm up, both my self and the whistle, by doing an ascending/descending scale or two.   Online and printed tutorials recommend exercises with cuts and rolls.  Perhaps these would benefit me but the draw to paly tunes is stronger.

Keith
Keith
@keith
2 months ago
145 posts

Sorry, I haven't been getting notifications & only just seen this - I think it mainly depends on your end goals.

Personally, I just play a tune or two, I don't actually structure my practice time, I only play for my own pleasure, & it works for me.

Playing scales teaches where the notes are, but equally, you could just play from tab.

Michael W6
Michael W6
@michael-w6
5 months ago
24 posts

How do you structure effective practice time?